The Hobby Mission

I don't have a hobby. As I was growing up, I occupied my free time with the two infamous distractions in life namely: television and internet. Now, some might say that these could count as hobbies and I agree with them. However, I never like to admit to have such activities as my hobbies simply because I am not proud of them. 

I notice that there has always been a big gap between what I want to do and what I actually do. I learned that this phenomenon is called cognitive dissonance. I wanted to paint, draw, sew, cook; anything creative. In 2015, I did attempt some of them for a few days but homoeostasis kicked in without myself realising and so I went back to my usual "hobbies" in less than a week. Months passed and I thought this matter about hobbies wouldn't appear again but it did.

Last Friday night, my friend shared a story of his mission to be more sociable. He was quite anti-social and realised the negative impact it has towards his life, so he decided to make a change. He listed out activities he could do to put himself out there and it was not long until he found the activity that surrounds him with people he could resonate with. This reminded me about my attempts last year and it has inspired me to try again. 

So like most people, the first thing I did was to ask Mr. Google about hobbies. How to find a hobby, hobby suggestions, and some other hobby-related questions. I found an article which suggested that I expand the things I like into something more. That got me thinking, what are 
the things I like? This was what I wrote:
entry from my journal
  1. dance
  2. sing
  3. sparring
  4. think
  5. write
  6. eat
Inevitably this leads me to starting this blog because I notice that I keep having the thought to have one. I have an extroverted personality but I really enjoy  writing and thinking especially about self-actualizing and philosophy. Soon I will also have the time to do dancing and sparring too and I am ecstatic about them. So, these will be the activities that I will try to see whether they are suitable hobbies for myself. If they aren't right for me, I might actually try other stuffs that Google suggests me to.

Some people might wonder why I am fussing about hobbies. It's simply because my instinct keeps nudging me to look for it and we should follow our instinct, don't we?


Infinite Love,
minahconscious

Comments

Popular Posts